Speaker of the Year 2020
Guidelines and Requirements
As the national association of speaking professionals, including professional speakers, presenters, trainers, entertainers and MCs in New Zealand, NSANZ may acknowledge members by way of national awards. NB: Although deemed annual, individual awards may not be made in any given year at the judges’ discretion.
Eligibility Criteria Eligible candidates for this award will:
• Be a Member, Accredited Member, Professional Member or CSP-accredited member of PSANZ.
• Have been speaking / presenting professionally for more than 3 years prior to the award entry deadline.
• Have been a full financial member of the Association for a minimum of three calendar months prior to the award entry deadline.
• Demonstrate high levels of professional eloquence, expertise, enterprise and ethics.
• Consistently derive presentation-related income on an ongoing basis in their own right as a result of any combination of speaking, presenting, and training, entertaining or acting as a Master of Ceremonies (MC).
• Be demonstrably committed to their own professional development, the development of the speaking profession nationally and/or internationally, and supportive of PSANZ.
Entry Content & Format
Include in your entry (in whatever order you choose):
Clients / Presentations / Earnings summary
- A summary of income-generating and unpaid/pro-bono engagements/presentations made within the 12 months prior to the awards entry deadline. For each presentation indicate the client name (where appropriate), date, location, topic and duration of event of each presentation.
- A summary of TOTAL presentation-related income generated within the 12 months prior to the awards entry deadline. (NB: Presentation-related income excludes payments for travel and accommodation). A breakdown of income per event is NOT required.
- A phone number and email address for at least 5 clients included in your summary. Or, if you deliver public events rather than being engaged by a client include the phone number and email address for at least 1 event attendee from at least 5 events)
Business or Activities Summary / Overview
Provide a summary/overview of your professional speaking business or activities including reference to:
- Comments as to why you believe you should receive the award
Client Testimonials x 5 (minimum)
Include 5 testimonials (written, audio or video) from clients that engaged you no earlier than within the period of 13th January 2019 and 12th January 2020 prior to the awards entry deadline. If you deliver public events rather than being engaged by a client include 5 testimonials (written, audio or video) from at least 1 event attendee from at least 5 events.
Verbal Referees x 3 (minimum)
Include the names and phone numbers of at least 3 other clients (ie. not included as part of the 5 testimonials noted above) that engaged you no earlier than 12 months prior to the awards entry deadline who are willing to be contacted regarding your award entry.
If you deliver public events rather than being engaged by a client include the names and phone numbers of at least 3 other event attendees (i.e. not included as part of the 3 referees noted above) that attended an event you delivered no earlier than 12 months prior to the awards entry deadline who are willing to be contacted regarding your award entry.
Contribution to/Support of PSANZ and/or the wider Speaking Profession (if appropriate.)
• Your service/contribution to PSANZ and/or the wider speaking industry/profession in the 12 months prior to the awards entry deadline
• Your service/contribution to PSANZ and/or the wider speaking industry/profession in previous years
• Your attendance at PSANZ or other professional development events in the 12 months prior to the awards entry deadline Level of Accreditation State what level of accreditation you have and the year you attained it.
Unedited video clip of you presenting within the past year
Include a link to an unedited video clip of you presenting in front of a genuine audience (not an audience set up specifically to create the footage. Footage should run from the beginning of the introduction of you as speaker through to you leaving the platform where possible. Although no minimum duration of presentation is prescribed, a presentation of between 20 and 60 minutes duration is encouraged. For longer presentations, for example footage taken from a 1-2 day training programme, submit 3 x 20 minutes segments of you presenting.
Entry Process & Deadline
• Entries are self-nominated. No nominee or seconder is required.
• Candidates may enter multiple award categories where they meet required eligibility criteria.
• Entry Format – Candidates may format their entry in any way they wish so long as it includes the required information set out in each category and is in Electronic Format Only as entries will be accessed by the judges via Dropbox.
• The overall quality/professionalism of the electronic entry will be taken into account as part of the judging process.
• Every part of a candidate’s entry must be accessible electronically by the judges. Electronic attachments and/or hyperlinks to documents or other media in or on your own website, Dropbox, Google Drive, YouTube etc. should be used. Candidates should ensure all attachments, hyperlinks or other supporting material work effectively as these will not be checked by the Awards Convenor prior to forwarding the entry to the judges.
• Entries submitted in hard-copy or on CD or DVD shall be deemed invalid and will not be forwarded to judges.
‘Presentation-related income’ is defined as:
• Specific monetary fees paid by a client for the speaker’s services.
• Fees earned as a result of public events/sessions delivered by the speaking professional.
• Revenue earned from sales of the speaking professional’s own or others’ products, including workbooks, handouts and other material or services, as a direct result of the presentation in addition to a monetary fee.
• Revenue earned from sales of the speaker’s own or others’ products or services at the event from payment or orders taken on the day.
Presentation-related income EXCLUSIONS:
• Revenue generated as a result of sales by way of websites, book-stores or any other channel, outlet or media other than a direct presentation are NOT considered ‘presentation related income’ and are specifically excluded.
• Payment or reimbursement of travel expense, accommodation expenses, or any other form of remuneration or compensation other than by the ways outlined in ‘presentation related income’ above are ineligible in terms of meeting the criteria for revenue earnings/payment of fee(s).
There are two dates that you should be aware of:
1. Date of Notification of Application for an Award
2. Date of Submission of your Application for an Award
DATE OF NOTIFICATION OF APPLICATION FOR AN AWARD
Before you submit your application for the PSANZ Speaker of the Year 2020 Award, we need you to notify email@example.com that you are wanting to apply. This will allow the PSANZ Administrator to set up the necessary Google Drive folders and other documentation necessary for your application, without putting undue pressure on the team.
Please note the following deadlines:
Deadline Date for Notification of Applications: Friday 17th January 2020
Deadline Time: 4.00 pm NZST
Send entry via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Notifications received after 4.00 pm on the day of the deadline shall be deemed invalid and will not be forwarded to judges.
DATE OF SUBMISSION OF YOUR APPLICATION FOR AN AWARD
Notification of entry/entries must be received in electronic format by the NSANZ in the allocated Google Drive folder for the Award no later than the time specified below on the day of the deadline. Once the submission has been uploaded to Google Drive please notify the PSANZ Administrator.
The PSANZ Administrator shall acknowledge, via email, receipt of the entry/entries.
Deadline Date for Notification of Applications: Friday 24th January 2020
Deadline Time: 4.00 pm NZST
Send entry via email to: email@example.com
• Entries received after 4.00 pm on the day of the deadline shall be deemed invalid and will not be forwarded to judges.
• Any pre-submission queries should be directed to the PSANZ Administrator via email prior, not less than 24 hours prior to the award entry deadline. Queries received less than 24 hours prior to the award entry deadline may not be answered.
• No correspondence with entrants will be entered into after the deadline for entries has passed.